We’re Hiring an HR Manager!March 25, 2022
Department: Human Resources
Reports to: President & Executive Director
Effective Date: April 1, 2022
The Human Resources Manager guides and manages the overall provision of Human Resources services, policies, and programs for the Military Family Advisory Network (MFAN).
This position is fully remote and responsible for administering, maintaining, and managing HR systems, programs, procedures, and plans according to HR policies and will provide assistance to all levels of personnel on HR-related issues.
Job duties will vary; some tasks are routine and administrative while other responsibilities may be complex and high level. This position must be able to maintain confidentiality and requires the ability to be an independent thinker, adjust quickly to change, and continually grow and develop as the business evolves. The HR Manager must have strong interpersonal skills with a commitment to deliver excellent customer service.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborates with President & Executive Director and Department Directors/Managers to identify employment needs within the organization
- Coordinates job postings with Department Directors/Managers, conducts initial screening of applicants for the job and organizational suitability and forwards minimally qualified individuals to Department Directors/Managers for the interview process to begin
- Contacts applicant references and orders/evaluates background checks on applicants
- Implements and provides oversight for the performance management system and improvement systems for staff and volunteer core teams
- Leads organizational development initiatives (gains an understanding of gaps within staff/core teams and recruits to fill gaps as well as to refine and improve skills of existing staff and leadership)
- Directs the needs assessment for training and staff development to enhance and support the effectiveness of employee performance in achieving the goals and objectives of the organization
- Conducts employee orientations, on-boarding, and off-boarding efforts
- Leads employee development and training efforts
- Assures organizational adherence and compliance to employment and regulatory concerns and drafts related policies
- Responds to moderately complex employee/management questions and problems based on advanced knowledge of aspects applicable to the subject area
- Executes performance management procedures, including but not limited to performance improvement plans
- Recommends HR approaches and strategies to continually improve HR program efficiency
- Manages assigned HR projects/initiatives, providing guidance and recommendations in addressing a variety of HR related issues and uses HR subject matter expertise to resolve those issues
- Partners closely with Finance Team in areas of Compensation and Benefits and with President & Executive Director to support strategic initiatives in support of business objectives
- Creates and supports delivery and facilitation of trainings, team building exercises, conflict management, and development planning
- Develops organizational policies, procedures, and documentation
- Investigates employee issues and conflicts and ensure the application of conflict resolution principles
- Any other duties assigned to this position from leadership
requireD EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of experience in human resources, management, or related fields required. Alternatively, an associate degree and seven years of human resources and/or relational development experience
- Current PHR, SHRM-CP, SPHR, SHRM-SCP certification desired
- Ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Demonstrates flexibility to changing situations and priorities
- Detail-oriented, organized, professional, reliable, and punctual
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including proofing and editing of documents
- Experience planning and coordinating projects and meetings
- Experience supervising and recruiting staff
- Ease in using a wide variety of office software
- Knowledge of trends, resources, and information related to Human Resources and volunteerism
- Proven self-starter with strong interpersonal and time management skills
Hours of Work
This is a full-time, exempt position. Candidates are expected to have a dedicated workspace and access to a computer and high-speed internet.
Standard hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET on Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. ET on Fridays. There will be occasions when extended hours are required due to events, travel, meetings, or other requirements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The position requires the ability to sit for sustained periods of time and travel. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The qualified employee will work in a dynamic home office setting, and interact with staff and consultants, and therefore may be subjected to interruptions throughout the workday.
The position will require some flexible hours, and when applicable, local and national travel. Travel is on an as-needed basis for this position. Travel can be for meetings, events, presentations, etc.
There are no direct reports for this position.
MFAN provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter explaining interest in the position and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application will remain open until the position is filled.