MFAN remains committed to connecting military families to the resources they need to thrive. Many of us have committed to healthy eating goals for ourselves and our families in the new year. Our latest webinar, “Food Matters: Stock your pantry, build a balanced plate, and avoid food waste,” invited experts to share ways to eat healthy, shop smart, and safely store and prepare foods.
Moderator: Delia Johnson – Director of Programs, MFAN
Panelists: Alicia Valdez, MS, RD, NASM-CPT and Sara Vescoli, Dietetic Intern
- Discover guidelines for healthy eating for the entire family
- Get suggestions on where to find the healthiest and most cost-effective food items in the grocery store
- Learn how to read a nutrition label
- Decode what best by/use by/sell by dates really mean and how you can store food to maintain peak freshness and quality
- Gain tips for thawing and preparing foods safely
- The USDA MyPlate website has a wealth of information on healthy meal planning, recipes, and ways to get the whole family involved with healthy eating goals in the new year.
- FoodSafety.gov provides information about food safety guidelines and recalls, and the FoodKeeper app, available on Apple or Android devices, helps keep the information right at your fingertips.
- Additional healthy (and affordable!) recipe sites include: