Renewal of DoD council seeks to improve military family readiness policies & practices
WASHINGTON (June 28, 2023) – MFAN President & Executive Director Shannon Razsadin was sworn in as a member of the Department of Defense Military Family Readiness Council (MFRC) at a virtual ceremony today.
In December 2022, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III, in accordance with the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA), reconstituted this non-discretionary advisory committee.
The mission of the MFRC is to review, evaluate, and monitor military family readiness policies, programs, plans, and initiatives. The group’s scope of work will include:
- Providing independent advice and recommendations on the policy and plans for the support of military family readiness programs and activities by DoD
- Evaluating and assessing the effectiveness of DoD’s military family readiness programs and activities
- Making recommendations to improve collaboration, awareness, and promotion of accurate and timely military family readiness information and support services by policy makers, service providers, and targeted beneficiaries
To accomplish these tasks, the Council members receive briefings from subject matter experts from inside and outside the DoD, review written submissions from the public, and deliberate and vote on topics identified by the MFRC during the previous fiscal year. Based on those briefings, submissions, and deliberations, the Council members submit, present, discuss, and vote on recommendations to forward to the Secretary of Defense as part of an Annual Report.
The MFRC reports to and is supported by the DoD Appointing Authority, through the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel & Readiness.
An Honor & Privilege
“I will always jump at the opportunity to help make the future brighter for military families. This group is a testament to the power we all have to shape policies and programs. I can’t wait to get to work on behalf of our service members and the families who serve alongside them.” —Shannon Razsadin
- Lieutenant General Jason T. Evans
- Ms. Marie C. Balocki
- Major General Eric K. Little
- Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force Joanne S. Bass
- RDML Putman H. Browne
- Mr. Horace L. “H.L.” Larry
- Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy Russell L. Smith
- Sergeant Major of the Army Michael A. Grinston
- Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps Troy E. Black
- Ms. Evelyn Honea
- Mrs. Jill La Fave
- Mrs. Jill Waters
- Ms. Heather Zane
- Ms. Ericka Kelly
- Ms. Shannon Razsadin
To learn more about the Military Family Readiness Council, visit militaryonesource.mil/mfrc.
# # #
The Military Family Advisory Network envisions a world where all military-connected families are empowered to thrive. MFAN’s mission is to understand and amplify the needs of military-connected families and inspire data-informed change. Visit MFAN.org.
Meet MFRC members. Watch for upcoming meeting announcements and agendas. Scan minutes from previous meetings. Review MFRC Annual Reports for updates on current focus areas and recommendations for future initiatives. Visit militaryonesource.mil/mfrc.
Shannon is a Navy spouse, mom, and champion for military and veteran families. Shannon’s leadership, authenticity, and focus on collaboration have earned the trust of the military community and set MFAN apart as an organization focused on delivering data-driven solutions. Read Shannon’s full bio.