Bloom Where You’re Planted
“Bloom where you’re planted” — this is a mantra for some military families but for others a frustrating phrase. The reality is that starting over in a new home is hard. Give yourself grace — and take advantage of resources, including knowledgeable people to talk to. For example, counselors from the Military and Family Life Counseling program can provide you with counseling and can support you in connecting with a new community.
Here are some other resources to get you started:
- Go to MFAN’s resource locator, MilMap, to find information about local organizations and resources.
- Check out social media. Yes, using social media has pros and cons, but local spouse and base Facebook groups also offer a wealth of information.
- Get out! Attend local events, take walks, and explore your new community. You never know who you may bump into.
- Take advantage of command events and gatherings. Consider joining an FRG or attending a resource fair. Stop by your local MWR and learn what may be available.
- Introduce yourself. We know this can be harder than it sounds, but it’s worth the effort. You never know — you may make someone’s day, or better yet, make a new friend.